TOPIC 4. Renewable Energy Alternatives
• Compare per capita energy consumption in highly developed and developing countries.
• Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of coal.
• Summarize the environmental problems associated with using coal, including acid mine drainage and acid deposition.
• Explain how two types of technology, resource recovery and fluidized-bed combustion, make coal a cleaner fuel.
• Discuss the environmental problems of using oil and natural gas.
• Briefly describe U.S. dependence on foreign oil.
• Summarize the continuing controversy surrounding the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
• Define synfuel and distinguish among tar sands, oil shales, gas hydrates, liquid coal, and coal gas.
• Consider the environmental implications of using synfuels.
• Distinguish between active and passive solar heating and describe how each is used.
• Contrast the advantages and disadvantages of solar thermal electric generation and photovoltaic solar cells in converting solar energy into electricity.
• Define biomass, explain why it is an example of indirect solar energy, and outline how it is used as a source of energy.
• Describe the locations that can make optimum use of wind energy and of hydropower.
• Compare the potential of wind energy and hydropower.
• Describe tidal energy and geothermal energy, the two forms of renewable energy that are not direct or indirect results of solar energy.
ALL DAYS THIS WEEK
Renewable Energy Project